Wednesday 25 April 2012

10 Life Lessons from Margo Channing

Bette Davis plays Margo Channing in All About Eve (1950). We can all learn a few things from the wonderful Margo; aging stage actress, drunk, and acid-tongued she-devil.



1. Never sell yourself short.

"I'll admit I may have seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut."


2. Always give fair warning.

"Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"


3. Always respect the work of others.

"All playwrights should be dead for three hundred years!"



4. Call it like you see it.

"I'm a junkyard."


5. Take some time out to wallow in self pity.

"So many people know me. I wish I did. I wish someone would tell me about me."


6. Stick it to the man.

"Lloyd honey, be a playwright with guts. Write me one about a nice normal woman who just shoots her husband."


7. Always let your true feelings shine through

"Happy birthday, welcome home, and we who are about to die salute you."


8. Always be ready with a snappy comeback.

"Cut it! Print it! What happens in the next reel? Do I get dragged off screaming to the snake pits?"


9. A lady never reveals her age (except when drunk)

"Three months ago I was forty years old. Forty. Four-oh. That slipped out. I hadn't quite made up my mind to admit it. Now I suddenly feel as if I'd taken all my clothes off."



10. Feel free to contradict yourself.

"Everybody has a heart - except some people."

No comments:

Post a Comment